Wedding Fashions. Local Moruya Couples by Shirley Jurmann (A5, 54 pages, photos)
Published by the Moruya and District Historical Society.Descriptions of the dresses worn by the brides have been sourced from newspaper articles. The earliest photographs included date from the 1890's. Also included are photographs from our collection of unidentified couples and wedding dresses from our Museum collection.
Tomakin. The Undiscovered History by Mark Young (A5, 145 pages, photos)
Published by the Tomakin Community Association.This book is a comprehensive history of the Tomakin area and its people. Chapters include Geology and Geography; Aboriginal History; Early Settlers; Timber and Shipping; Shipbuilding and shipwrecks. The book leads us through these topics to other early developments such as schools, churches, farming and leisure activities to modern times.
The Bodalla Estate from 1860 to 1989" by Helen Townend (A4, 116 pages, index)
Using voices from the past, the Bodalla Estate book is intended to honour Thomas Sutcliffe Mort, his descendants, his Bodalla farm workers and all those who continue to farm in the beautiful Bodalla area.The story begins with TS Mort's 1860 decision to establish a single vast integrated dairy farming estate & butter & cheese manufacturing enterprise over 50,000 acres of land at Bodalla. A series of eye-witness reports, beginning in 1875, describe in detail the establishment, operations, difficulties & successes of Mort's remarkably successful "Bodalla Estate" through to the final outcome for the estate in 1989.
A4, 128 pages, diagrams, illustrations, colour photographs.
Kiora Kith and Kin by Shirley Jurmann (A4, 94 pages, index)
A4, 94 pages, photographs, map.
Soldiers of the Eurobodalla DVD
This documentary DVD contains the stories of 6 Eurobodalla young people who served in the first World War. The DVD was produced by Visual Memories with a Centennary of ANZAC grant from the Department of Veterans Affairs obtained by the Moruya & District Historical Society Inc.
1. Raymond Charles Bishop. 2. Holroyd Robert Innes. 3. Sister Pearl Elizabeth Corkhill. 4. Norman Blake Corkhill. 5. Herbert Frederick Hutchings. 6. James Stuart Leslie Ross.
Each film traces the life of the individual with still and moving images of the areas they served in during the first world war, and includes interviews with relatives. Production by Ian Hibberson of Visual Memories and Magella Blinksell. Historical commentary Dr Michael McKernan. Fromelles commentary Lambis Englezos. Narration Ian Duff. $20 + $5 postage. Click here for order form.
Eurobodalla. History of the Moruya District by H. J. Gibney. (A5, 191 pages, index)
This book is a complete history of the Eurobodalla District. (191 pages)
1. European Invasion. 2. The first Farmers 1828-1839. 3. Broulee Settlement 1839-1852.
4. Politics, Gold and Moruya Town 1842-1859. 5. Moruya and the Gulph 1850-1870.
6. The Farmers 1840-1870. 7. Moruya and Bodalla 1860-1900. 10 Time of Decay 1890-1910.
11. War 1914-1919. 12. World Fit for Heroes 1920-1932.
The book is illustrated with historical photographs of the area. Index.
Contents: 1. European Invasion. 2. The first Farmers 1828-1839. 3. Broulee Settlement 1839-1852. 4. Politics, Gold and Moruya Town 1842-1859. 5. Moruya and the Gulph 1850-1870. 6. The Farmers 1840-1870. 7. Moruya and Bodalla 1860-1900. 10 Time of Decay 1890-1910. 11. War 1914-1919. 12. World Fit for Heroes 1920-1932. The book is illustrated with historical photographs of the area. Index.
Moruya - The First 150 Years by Phyllis Stiskin. (A5, 108pages, indexed)
It also contains 4 Appendices. 1. Scouting in Moruya. 2. Bendithera Caves. 3. Japanese Submarine Attack. 4. The opening of the Moruya Bridge. (108 pages)Indexed.
Past and Present. (A5, 64 pages)
Prepared by the Moruya and District Historical Society to mark the Centenary of Eurobodalla Shire Council 1906-2006. The photographs and text take us through the history of the district. The photographs are both historic and recent to show the changes which have occurred in the district. Recent photographs are in colour. (64 pages)
Eurobodalla Almanac A chronological overview of the growth of the Shire of Eurobodalla by Noel Warry (A5, 87 pages)
The almanac shows the growth of the Shire of Eurobodalla - the things people did to shape this corner of the world and the way they coped with the outside events which influenced their efforts. It is a representative selection of events from the information available. 1770-1990. Recent photographs are in colour. Sample Page.(A5, 64 pages)
16 Women of Early Eurobodalla by Noel Warry (A5, 68 pages)
This booklet is an account of the lives of some outstanding women who lived in the Shire of Eurobodalla. A close look at the human face of history brings into view some remarkable people who have no claim to fame at a worldly level, but not withstanding this, have left an indelible impression. The stories of the 16 women presented in this booklet are tales of courage, endurance, and determination; of talent; of enterprise; of loving kindness - of living.
The stories are of:
100 Years Ago 1899 - 1917 (19 A5 booklets)
Each week in the Moruya Examiner the Society publishes an extract of articles from the Moruya Examiner of 100 Years Ago. These weekly extracts are compiled into a booklet at the end of each year. With the first booklet covering the period August 1898 to December 1899 they provide a remarkable insight into the area and its people. The booklets are approximately 45 to 55 pages each. Index.
Pictures from the Past (A5, 64 pages)
An album of old photographs of Moruya and District. Compiled by the Moruya and District Historical Society. Photographs are grouped into subjects which include - The River, The Bridges, Timber, Houses, the Town, Quarrying, Farming, Mining, Wars, Floods, Churches, Personalities and Sport and Leisure. All photographs are black and white. (A5, 64 pages)
Moruya's Golden Years by A. V (Bob) Colefax (A5, 42 pages)
Bob Colefax started work at the Moruya Quarry in December 1924 as a general clerk in the quarry office. In this memoir he remembers the people and events that took place at the quarry during his time there. The quarrying and cutting of the stone for the Sydney Harbour Bridge pylons and the Martin Place Cenotaph stone took place during his employment there. The booklet contains images from the quarry showing the machinery and the people who worked it. Index. (A5, 42 pages
Not Forgotten by Christine Greig (A5, 96 pages)
The book is an account of the history of the granite quarry located at Moruya where the granite was quarried for the piers and pylons of the Sydney Harbour Bridge as well as other historical buildings in the Moruya area and around the state. The book also contains a chapter by Shirley Jurmann on the Louttit family who started the first Moruya quarry on the south side of the Moruya River. It is from this quarry the columns of the Sydney GPO came and the base of the Captain Cook statue in Hyde Park.
Granitetown Memories by Ruth Webberly (A5, 96 pages)
Ruth arrived in granitetown as a nine year old in 1926, her father coming out from Scotland to work at the granite quarry to quarry the pylons of the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Many years later after returning to Scotland Ruth wrote of her happy memories of life in Granitetown.
The Life of Old Moruya by A.F. Emmott (7 pages)
This monograph is an account of the people of Moruya and their daily lives. It was written in 1970 by Abraham Emmott who was born in Moruya in 1880. In recalling the past Abraham gives us a picture of day to day life in Moruya, the economic base of the town and some of the remarkable early settlers. (7 pages)
Mullenderree (Moruya) in 1900 by A. F. Emmott (8 pages)
Milk and Cheese (A5, 64 pages)
This booklet brings together two papers on the history of the local dairy industry. The first entitled The Moruya Co-operative Cheese Factory 1892 to 1970 is the work of Vida Parbery. It was collated from original records and the memoirs of D.A. (John) Parbery, Cheesemaker and Manager. The second paper is An Historical review of dairying in Eurobodalla, a paper prepared by the Historical Society in February 2003. The booklet is illustrated with Cheese factory photographs and also contains a listing of the shareholders in the Moruya Co-operative Cheese Factory. (A5, 64 pages)
The Bodalla Book. A transcript of a booklet written in 1928 by Ernest Mort and James Benson. (A5, 28 pages)
Chapters include: The story of Bodalla and its Church; The Church of All Saints; The Village and Comerang House. The booklet also includes an excerpt from "A Tour of the South" published in The Town and Country Journal of 28th October 1871 which deals with the Correspondent's stay at Bodalla. Also included is an extract from the Moruya Examiner of 13th October 1928 on the Reverend James Benson and the Regulations at Comerang. (A5, 28 pages)
The Story of Bodalla by Shirley Doolan illustrated by Neel Williams (A5, 26 pages)
This small booklet gives us a brief history of the Bodalla district and the Mort family and is designed to act as a guide to visitors interested in seeing some of the buildings and places that have existed since the early days of Bodalla. A map and index are included with the booklet. Index. (A5, 26 pages)
The Dempsey Family Story. Sydney Cove to Narooma. Mill Whistles, Blucher Boots and Bugattis by Patricia Hyland. (A5, 70 pages)
Patricia gives us an account of growing up in Narooma and the story of her family and the part they played in the development of Narooma. The main families are the Gallagher, Lynch and Hyland families. The book includes photographs of family members and historical photographs of Narooma. (A5, 69 pages)
Life on the Moruya River by John Sewell. (A5, 80 pages)
This booklet is based on the diaries of James Constable. The diary starts in January 1881 when James and his older brother John were operating punts on the Moruya River. James later became a boatman at the Moruya Pilot Station. The diary entries have been augmented with details of the people and events mentioned to give us a picture of life in Moruya in the 1880's and 1890's. They also show us the importance of the river to the community. Originally run as a 9 part series in the Society's Journal from March 2008 to March 2010. (A5, 80 pages)
Behind Broulee. History of Eurobodalla Shire Central South Coast NSW by William A. Bayley. (Cd)
This Cd is from the out of print 1978 edition of Bayley's book published by the Eurobodalla Shire Council. Chapters: Between Two Peaks 1770-1828; Pioneer Settlement 1828-1840; Broulee and its District 1840-1850; Early growth of Moruya District 1850-1876; Gold and Bushrangers 1850-1920; Bodalla and the Morts 1850-1920; Social Development 1850-1914; Pastoral Development 1850-1940; Transport and Communications 1880-1914; Towards a New Era 1906-1940; Lagoon Littoral 1940-1964; Capital Coast 1965-1973; Civic Record (Lists Presidents, Shire Clerks and Councillors of the Eurobodalla Shire Council) (1cd)
A Short History of the Moruya Airport during World War 2 1941-1945. (A5, 26 pages)
The booklet records the story of a remarkable effort by many dedicated people to protect this part of our nation and the ships which were our lifeblood. As part of RAAF contingency planning Moruya was selected as a site for one of their shore bases. In early 1942 operational Base Moruya was established.
Beyond Bodalla. Recollections from My Life by Colin O'Toole. (A5, 80 pages)
Colin describes his family and farm life in Eurobodalla. He covers the great depression period as well as a history of Nerrigundah and describes the Chinese he knew who still lived there. The book includes maps of Nerrigundah showing the location of the mines and properties.
Tuross River Childhood by Josephine Bernade Kelly (A5, 64 pages)
This booklet contains Josephine Kelly's stories of her childhood in Eurobodalla in the late nineteenth century, transcribed verbatim from the hand written originals. Mrs Kelly was in her late sixties when she wrote them in 1942 for the Women's Session on radio station 2KY, Sydney, using the pen name Tuross. Her stories have been researched and edited by her grand-daughter Mrs Fran Miller.
The Hawdon Family. Occupation, then ownership of Kyla Park, Tuross Head 1832-1973 by Helen Townend.
A brief report on the Hawdon family property Kyla Park, Tuross. Topics covered include a timeline from 1828-1855 and a description of Kyla Park Estate 1871-1882 and the people who ran the estate. It also contains a map showing sites containing the remains of the original Kyla Park farm. The development of the land by Camenae Corporation to a cluster housing estate is also covered.
Batemans Bay Honour Stone by Rom Cameron (A4, 96 pages)